Purslane is such a delicious salad component, which has been part of traditional cooking for eons. In fact, the first time I tried a classic purslane recipe was on the tiny Sicilian Island of Pantelleria—and it was divine. The earthy bite of the foraged wild purslane plant, with local vine-ripened tomatoes, capers, and olives as part of a salad was so rustic and simple, yet perfectly special. I have purslane growing in my garden all spring and summer, so I can forage it. But I can also find it by the bunch at many farmers markets in California. In honor of Sicilian food traditions, I created this easy, delicious purslane salad that reminds me of that same salad I sampled years ago, and it brings forth memories of a warm, sun-drenched day on the Mediterranean. Let it light up your table too.
What is Purslane?
The common purslane plant regularly grows as a weed in most sunny locations in the spring and summer. You can find it in home gardens, forests, and around farms. The small succulent leaves of this plant have a moist, slightly minty flavor that accents salads beautifully. You can make a number of fresh purslane recipes, such as green salads, pasta salad, grain bowls, or smoothies. If you forage it, make sure it is from a “clean” source—that it has not been sprayed with chemicals, nor visited by pets (if you know what I mean).
Purslane is delicious in this traditional vegan, gluten-free Mediterranean recipe for Sicilian Purslane Salad, which includes wild or foraged purslane, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, olives, capers, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- 2 cups assorted baby lettuce leaves
- 1 small bunch purslane (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (or 1 large tomato, sliced)
- 1 cup olives (Greek, Sicilian, or Italian)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, as desired
- Place lettuce greens in a salad bowl or platter.
- Clean purslane and remove leaves. Add to lettuce greens.
- Add tomatoes, olives, and capers and toss together gently.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper as desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 60
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 288 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: vegan salad, purslane salad, easy salad recipe
For other plant-based salads, check out some of my favorites:
Green and Gold Brown Rice Salad
Arugula Salad with Tomatoes
Green Bean, Chickpea, and Farro Salad with Za’atar
Spicy Cauliflower Salad with Cilantro
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad with Peanuts and Papaya
Thai Salad with Carrots and Mint
Blood Orange Salad with Kale and Hazelnuts
Vegan Kale Caesar Salad
Beautiful Flower Salad with Rose Vinaigrette
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.